2017 Yellowstone Spring Wildlife Photo Tour
June 3 - 9, 2017
This tour is now FULL. Sign up for the 2018 tour!
Join professional photographer Max Waugh on a one week photo adventure in the world's first national park. This is a peak wildlife photography period in Yellowstone. Our targets include newborn animals (bison and elk calves, bear cubs), predators seeking out old winter kills and birds that are nesting or migrating through.
Max will serve as your driver, guide and adviser on this adventure. Though this is primarily a tour rather than a hard-core workshop, Max will be on hand to shoot alongside you and advise you as needed as you photograph Yellowstone's great variety of subject matter.
Tour Dates and Activities
Saturday, June 3: Pick up in Bozeman, Arrival in Yellowstone
Today we'll pick you up via group shuttle and transport you to Yellowstone National Park. Pick up is scheduled for early afternoon, so be sure to arrive in Bozeman either Friday night or Saturday morning.
From Bozeman, we make the hour-and-a-half drive south to Yellowstone National Park. We will arrive in time to check into our hotel and relax before going out for an introductory group dinner and orientation.
Spring is a great time to photograph baby animals in the park.
We will spend the next five days emphasizing wildlife photo opportunities. Many of these will take place along the park's Northern Range, as well as the eastern areas, which contain some of the best places for wildlife in the park. Highlights include the famous Lamar Valley, Hayden Valley and the Tower-Roosevelt Area that is populated by black bears. We will not be visiting Yellowstone's southern thermals areas (such as Old Faithful), unless notable wildlife activity is reported there.
Because the best chances for wildlife viewing occur in the morning, we will be waking up early. Wake-up calls in the 3:45-4:30am range are not uncommon. Depending on our exploration, we will either return to Gardiner for a mid-day break or early in the evening in order to ensure everyone is well-rested for the following morning.
Given our emphasis on wildlife, we will take advantage of Max's experience and knowledge to seek out the best photo opportunities for the widest variety of species possible. Our itinerary each day will be determined by the weather, the latest wildlife reports and other factors.
Our "Target Species" Include:
- Black Bear (possibly with cubs)
- Grizzly Bear (possibly with cubs)
- Gray Wolf
- Red Fox
- American Bison w/Calves
- Elk w/Calves
- Mule Deer w/Fawns
- Pronghorn w/Fawns
- Bighorn Sheep w/Lambs
- North American River Otter
- American Pika
- American Beaver
- American Badger
- Bald Eagle
- Golden Eagle
- Various Hawk Species
- Great Horned, Great Gray Owl
- Sandhill Crane
Badger sightings are a potential highlight of the spring tour.
Friday, June 9: Return to Bozeman
We pack up to leave today. We will return to Bozeman by late morning for flights home.
- $2895 per person, based on double occupancy
Single Supplement: $475
This tour is limited to a maximum of 6 participants.
This tour is now FULL. Sign up for the 2018 tour!
Tour Prices Include:
- Lodging during the tour
- Transportation from and to Bozeman at the start and end of the trip via group shuttle
- Continental Breakfast and Picnic Lunches, as well as welcome dinner on first night
- Photo Instruction (if desired) by Max
- Guides and Drivers
- Park Entrance Fees
- Taxes on all services
Tour Prices DO NOT Include:
- Airfare to/from Bozeman
- Lodging in Bozeman before/after the tour
- Transportation to the park from Bozeman if you miss the shuttle
- Gratuity for Guides and Drivers
- Single supplement fee listed above
- Dinners, except for welcome dinner on first night
- Additional snacks, alcohol and other food not provided with breakfast or lunch
- The itinerary listed above is subject to change, due to unpredictable weather or other factors.
- Many photo opportunities in Yellowstone take place close to the road, so this is not a hard core hiking trip. However, occasional wildlife sightings may prompt us to venture further away from designated parking areas. There may be one or two short hikes during the tour as well, one of which is short (about a half mile uphill) but steep. Tour participants should be in reasonable shape and feel comfortable carrying their gear on these short walks.
- A deposit of 25% is due upon booking. Deposits are refundable up to 60 days prior to the start of the tour, minus a $250 administrative fee. Within 60 days, deposits will not be refunded unless your spot is taken by another client and the tour sells out.
- Your balance is due 60 days prior to the start of the tour. Failure to pay the balance in full will lead us to invite the next person on the waiting list.
- Payments may be made via check or personal Paypal payment. If you wish to use a credit card, please add 2.9% to the total fee. We must wait for checks to clear before considering tour slots reserved or filled.
- We reserve the right to cancel the tour for any reason, including but not limited to a lack of participants. In such a case, your full deposit will be refunded. However, we are not responsible for any additional expenses incurred.